Flixborough
Lincolnshire


A mile or so to the east of the River Trent, Flixborough is on higher ground about 150 feet above the level of the flood  plain. It is an ancient settlement: archaeologists have found that a prosperous Anglo-Saxon community lived there as long ago as the early seventh century. It has a population of about 1000 now, but the 1901 Census recorded a population of just 344.

On the 1 June 1974 Flixborough was at the centre of the UK's worst industrial accident when the Nypro Works chemical plant was devastated by an explosion in what is known as the Flixborough disaster.Twenty nine people died and more than 100 were injured with around 100 homes in the village itself being destroyed or badly damaged.

The east window of All Saints Parish Church commemorates those who served in the two World Wars. The window shows a figure of Christ set against a rainbow. An angel stands at each end of  the rainbow and they are holding a scroll between them which  says

"This window is dedicated to the Glory of God
And in Thankfulness for the safe return
Of those from this parish who served in the Wars
1914 - 18, 1939 - 45."


Photo:Charles Anderson

On the north wall of the church is a Roll of Honour listing 36 names in two columns of 18. The names appear to be in random  order, and do not show in which war the person served. Below  the names are the words "Brethren, pray for us".


Photo: Charles Anderson

Flixborough had good cause to be Thankful in both wars.

Return to the "Thankful Villages" article