This small secluded village is one and a half miles east of Horncastle on the A158 road to Skegness. Most of it lies in Church Lane on the south side of the road.
The old 13th century church was rebuilt in 1872 and is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It stands on a mound on the corner of the lane but is difficult to spot because of trees and high hedges.
A brass lectern in the church records the names of fourteen men who went to the Great War and all returned, three having been wounded.
WITH THANKSGIVING TO ALMIGHTY GOD
THIS DESK IS AN OFFERING FROM THE PARISHIONERS
There are also two lists in Old English script in glazed frames hanging opposite the main entrance. One titled Dutys Call is difficult to read, (or photograph) because the script ink colours have faded badly. It lists six men who joined the Colours in the Great War in answer to their Countrys call.
The following is a list of High Toynton persons who have joined the Colours in answer to their Countrys call
With the Territorials who have volunteered for Foreign Service
With the R.F.A.
With the Coldstream Guards
With the Army Service Corps
With the Royal Engineers
The other list is of five High Toynton persons who served in WW2 and all returned safely. The Old English script of this one is more readable, but not easy to photograph in poor available light.
It is easy to agree with the closing sentence in this villages entry in the Lincolnshire volume of The Kings England series edited by Arthur Mee, High Toynton has good reason to call itself a Thankful Village.
With thanks to Terry Munson for text and photographs.
Return to the "Thankful Villages" article