Meldon is a scattered rural parish five or six miles west-south-west of Morpeth. Although north of Hadrian's Wall, there is evidence of Roman occupation of the area, including a Roman road, "The Devil's Causeway", passing northwards towards Scotland. Unsettled times along the border caused the building of Peel Towers and Bastels (fortified farm houses), but with the Union of England and Scotland more prosperous agriculture developed around Meldon, leading to the arable and pasture of today's peaceful countryside.
Meldon's war memorial is not at the parish church, but is in the front garden of the former schoolhouse, now a private residence, at Grid Reference NZ 1188 8404. It is a rectangular stone block on a circular base. There are four bolts on the top which probably secured a now missing flagpole. On the front of the block within a shield-shape is the carved inscription:-
COMMEMORATE THE VICTORY
AND IN GRATEFUL THANKS
FOR THE SAFE RETURN
OF ALL THOSE MEN
WHO LEFT THE PARISH
TO SERVE IN
THE GREAT WAR
Outside the shield there are the dates 1914 1919.
Text - Norman Thorpe
Return to the "Thankful Villages" article