Builth Wells Cottage Hospital, Breconshire
Off the A483, south-west of the town centre, the Builth Cottage Hospital was enlarged just after the end of the First World War. On a marble plaque outside the main entrance :
This Theatre Was Erected In Loving Memory Of Those Who Fell In The Great-War 1914-18. And As A Thank-Offering For Those Who Were Spared. They Suffered Greatly And Endured Heroically That Pain May Be Lessened And Happiness Increased. May Their Courage Inspire Courage In All Who Enter Here.
Inside the hospital reception area, a framed Roll of Honour designed by F.D.B. George of Builth Wells, and dated - 1 September, 1921, begins with the words
Builth Cottage Hospital. The Operating Theatre And North Extension Of This Hospital Have Been Erected In Honour And Loving Remembrance Of The Men Of Builth And District Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914- 1918.
Below this dedication, two long scrolls headed Roll Of Honour list the names of those that fell. There are sixty-one recorded, each with rank and regiment, and these in the main correspond with those shown on the town memorial. Between the two scrolls the town Arms, and below this seven lines of text headed
Description Of the Symbolical Design.
The Main Features Of This Design On War Memorial Are As Follows
1. The Cross Of Remembrance.
2. The Roll Of Honour With Names On Two Scrolls At The Foot Of The Cross.
3. The Arms Of Builth. The Decoration In Border Is Suggestive Of The Foliage Of Byzantine Art, As Well As The Symbols Chosen. A Wreath Of Laurels At The Top And Centre Of Border With The Inscription "In Memoriam" Completes The Unity, Simplicity And Dignity Of The Composition.
Copyright © Ray Westlake, September, 2002
Return to the War Memorials Contents Page
Return to the Hellfire Corner Contents Section